The research laboratory «Software Engineering and Applications of Geoinformatics» called «ΤΕ.Λ.Ε.ΓΕ.», was established in the Department of Environment in Ionian university through ΦΕΚ 2669/1-7-2020 issue Β'. The laboratory aims to promote scientific research, with an emphasis on excellence, and support teaching in the broader field of Software Engineering and Applications of Geoinformatics.
The Laboratory TE.Λ.Ε.ΓΕ. will serve the teaching and research needs of the Department of Environment in the general. As far as the first direction of research, that of software engineering, the contribution of the laboratory in undergraduate level is in the analysis and design of software, databases, programming and implementation of environmental systems and applications.
In postgraduate level, the research focuses on the following subjects:
• Software Engineering,
• Educational Software, Distance Learning
• User Modelling, Adaptive Systems
• Human Computer Interaction, Intelligent User interfaces
• Multi-Criteria Decision Making
• Databases, Information Systems and Recommendation systems for sustainable development and tourism
• Environmental and Cultural Software
In the scientific field of Geoinformatics, the activities of the “Software Technology and Applied Geoinformatics” laboratory will cover issues of both Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing subjects (at undergraduate level).
In this direction, the following topics are included:
- Contemporary Geospatial modeling and spatial indicators development.
- Digital thematic cartography.
- Applied spatial analysis and environmental modeling.
- Innovative remote sensing techniques.
- Combined use of passive and active satellite sensors and UAVs.
- Mapping and assessment of ecosystem services.
- Applied landscape ecology and aesthetics.
- Soundscape ecology.
Research areas included in both directions:
- Development and configuration of web interactive geospatial data platform (webGIS).
- Information management systems for Environmental - descriptive and spatial - data.
- Programming Languages and Software Tools in Informatics and Geoinformatics (R, Python, Arc Python).
- Aikaterini Kabassi, Associate Professor
- Ioannis Vozaitis
- George Kotrotsios