The Department of Environment offers high level education regarding multiple aspects of the natural environment via an inter- and multi-disciplinary approach.
The graduates of the Department of Environment may pursue a variety of career paths either in the private or the public sector in different areas of the environmental profession, as well as careers related with education or research.
The main scope of the Department is achieved by several individual aims via theoretical and laboratory teaching practice as well as research activity in state-of-the-art facilities. These aims are related with the provision of theoretical and applied knowledge and/or skills development pertaining to the following topics:
- Environmental Processes and phenomena related with the earth, the sea and the atmosphere.
- Climate change
- Environmental Technologies
- Renewable energy production and management
- Computational methods and simulations for environmental processes and applications
- Information technologies for the management and processing of environmental data
- Geographical information system (GIS) and remote sensing technologies for the recording, analysis and modeling of geospatial data.
- Monitoring, evaluation and treatment of air, water and soil pollution
- Water quality
- Wastewater and solid waste treatment and management
- Physicochemical basis of environmental processes
- Analytical methods for determination and monitoring of pollutants in environmental samples
- Interaction between the natural and cultural environment
- Applied population ecology of plant and animal species and ecological processes in natural ecosystems
- Study and management of biodiversity
- Identification, analysis and restoration of Mediterranean ecosystems
- Monitoring of ecological and human activities in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems
- Planning, management and monitoring of protected natural areas and species
- Environmental education and communication, science education
- Environmental economic valuation
- Environmental impact report compilation
- Planning and evaluation of environmental policies